Re: [Tinycc-devel] Using TCC as a backbone for our compiler

From: Jerome St-Louis
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Using TCC as a backbone for our compiler
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:57:49 -0500

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 9:57 AM, grischka<address@hidden> wrote:

> TCC supports statement expressions, such as:
>
>    return ({ int a=4, b=3; a+b; });

Maybe this is all we need... I will then give TCC a try at compiling
our .c files.

>> Another problem is that there are some issues with C code generation,
>> such as required prototyping and reordering of declarations which
>> causes us many headaches ...
>
> I see.  Actually TCC treats function and struct ptr mismatch as
> errors,  however it could be made warnings as needed.

Sorry I'm not sure I follow this ? Which mismatches are you talking
about? (Did you look at produced eC intermediate C files which gives
out tons of GCC warnings hehe?)

> Well, "providing" was maybe misleading.  For TCC we would like to be
> able to _use_ such generators, eventually.   Basically we could first
> improve the interface of TCC's own generator,  then tune TCC's frontend
> such that it can use this interface, and then try to use other generators
> alternatively, eventually.  If that makes sense.
>
> Once we have this "improved interface" to TCC's generator it could be
> used by your compiler as well, of course.  Including the capability
> to run the code JIT or to write out executables for linux and windows.

That's exactly the way I saw it... We'd be happy to contribute to the effort.

Thanks,

Jerome