[Tinycc-devel] Tiny C Extension: Exception Handling?

From: Mikael Lyngvig
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] Tiny C Extension: Exception Handling?
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 21:22:21 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I'm new on this list, so let me very briefly present myself: I am a
retired software developer who now spends his spare time hacking away in
64-bit assembly, C, C#, and a couple of other languages.  I have not used
C for the past few years because I am fed up with a really significant
short-coming of that language: The lack of a structured exception handling
mechanism.

Then one day, it dawned on me: Why not contact you guys and ask you if you
want to add a simple, yet extremely efficient exception handling mechanism
to Tiny C?

I know there is a chance that some of you feel appalled and angry that I
might even suggest such a thing, but try to think it through: What is the
biggest problem about C?  Lack of OOP or lack of exception handling?  I
personally think that it is lack of exception handling.

I have looked at the sources of Tiny C but don't seem suited for munging
about with C compilers - otherwise I would have made a patch and sent it
in.

I've written a nine page long "paper" on this proposal, which is available
from:

http://www.lyngvig.org/doc/A%20Proposal%20for%20Exception%20Handling%20in%20C%20(ENU).pdf

Sincerely,

Mikael Lyngvig