Re: [Tinycc-devel] Understanding tcc Makefile

From: k1w1
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Understanding tcc Makefile
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 08:22:31 -0800

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 11:02 AM, grischka <address@hidden> wrote:
k1w1 wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to understand the Makefile. It seems to me that bcheck.o needs to be built with tcc since it will be linked with the rest of the user code built with tcc. However I can't see in the makefile how this happens. In fact on my machine it is built with gcc when I run make. This seems wrong.

Anyone got any ideas about what I am missing?

On windows, all objects that tcc wants to use must be compiled
with tcc itself.  In particular not with mingw-gcc.

How about on other platforms. I was observing this behavior under Cygwin which is more linux-like than anything else.

BTW, I have my refactored code working under Windows (Borland C++Builder) and cygwin.

Well, basically you did some nice things and I'm sure we want some
of that, however there might be some problems with your new file
structure.  It's not that I personally don't like it, is is just
that it is not strictly necessary.

The refactoring I have done so far is basically the minimum necessary to avoid ever #including a .c file. There is still a lot to do to clean it up and only the necessary declarations into the .h files. I took a brute force approach which probably is exposing more internal functions than is strictly necessary.

So now that you ripped everything into pieces and by the way have
learned how tcc works, could I maybe convince you to join the files
back _somehow_ as they were before?

Now that I understand the code better I am in a position to understand different code structure alternatives. I am open to suggestions and willing to invest the effort to make the code easier to understand and easier to maintain. However it does seem to me that merging things back into a monolithic structure would run counter to those goals.

Now I am trying to get the bounds checking code
to work on the same environments.

Note that we do not support bounds checking on windows currently.
I don't say it is not possible but it will not work out of the
box.

I definitely want this feature so I will get it working. However it does seem like it more be better to branch the code into another version for Windows rather than adding yet another layer of #ifdefs to bcheck.c.

Regards, k1w1.