Re: [Tinycc-devel] Missing symbol when compiling in -static

From: RoboTux
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Missing symbol when compiling in -static
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 09:26:58 +0200

Le mercredi 21 avril 2010 20:03:37, grischka a écrit :
> RoboTux wrote:
> > I don't know if it's possible to link against libgcc_eh.a as gcc is GPL
> > but with library runtime exception for some of the file.
>
> I guess as long as we don't distribute statically linked tcc executables
> that are compiled by tcc itself this is completely not our problem.

Indeed, I didn't think enough before posting. It's even less problematic
because:

1. The files involved in libgcc_eh.a seems to all have a library runtime
exception so there wouldn't be a problem anyway
2. Anyway, gcc does the same so a tinycc statically compiled with gcc would
use that lib.

I was also thinking about what it means to the user, ie its program would
become GPL if compiled with tcc -static but again:

1. 1. and 2. above still applies
2. On Linux, a program statically linked is linked to the glibc which is LGPL
and the user is never informed by the compiler of that.

But one concern remains: do we really want to make tinycc depends on gcc ?
That sounds a bit weird to force the user to install gcc even if he only wants
to compile with tinycc. On the other hand, provide dummy functions is
perfectly possible and doesn't introduce regression, even if the functions
aren't functional. On the contrary, they improve usability of the software
since it would allow many programs, which don't use the 4 undefined symbols
neither directly, nor indirectly, to be compiled statically with tinycc.

Thus, I'd like to commit dummy functions which anyone can then transform in
fully functional ones.

> --- grischka

Thomas Preud'homme