[Tinycc-devel] TCC Code and Data Scramble

From: Emil
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] TCC Code and Data Scramble
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 13:50:05 +0100

Hello list,

This might be of some interest to someone who wants to make the reverse
engineering of his software much harder. I have added scrambling for
both generated code and data in TCC for i386.

You can obfuscate all calls and long jumps, the parameters passed to
external functions, parameters passed to local functions, the stack, the
functions prolog and epilog. You can also encrypt your code data section
by XORing it with a LFSR.

http://nic.ath.cx/~emil/download.html
http://uglyduck.ath.cx/~emil/download.html

   With the 'x' switch the compiler heavily pollutes the generated code
   making it larger and slower. The purpose of this operation is to
   obfuscate the generated code and make reverse engineering harder.
   The 'x' switch by itself will enable all the scramble options. You may
   select individual scrambling features by listing them after the '-x':
   - 'c' obfuscate all calls
   - 'j' obfuscate all long jumps
   - 'f' obfuscate parameters passed to external (library) functions
   - 'p' obfuscate parameters passed to local functions
   - 's' obfuscate the stack (size of local variables and their references)
   - 'b' obfuscate functions prolog
   - 'e' obfuscate functions epilog (returns are replaced with jumps)
   - 'd' encrypt data segment with a LFSR

   The LFSR initial value as well as the unscrambling code is different
   with every compile. TCC generates read only objects in the data section
   (rather than rodata) so all your strings will be encrypted.

   Code obfuscation is mainly achieved by inserting random data between
   genuine operations. This tricks disassemblers because they will try to
   disassemble the random data. They will miss real opcodes due to variable
   size garbage instructions engulfing the former ones. All addressing is
   changed to offset addressing using a variable base (usually in ebx).
   This prevents disassemblers to generate any cross-references for both
   functions and data.

   The scrambling functionality is a patch against a stripped down version
   of tcc 0.9.25 which handles exclusively only i386 code. Both the Linux
   version and the cross-compiled version which generates Windows code work.
   The current release passes tcctest with all scrambling switches enabled.
   If you want to compile this compiler for a Windows platform you will
   probably fail (mainly because I'm using /dev/urandom). I have no plans
   to make it work for Windows because I'm not interested in that platform.
   You can generate Windows code from Linux with the cross-compiler.

   Generating static executables was broken on my Debian system (with stock
   tcc 0.9.25) so I've patched this version to use dietlibc. This has the
   advantage of making small executables which run on any kernel version
   (the bloated libc checks kernel versions and refuses to run even if you
   don't need any of the 2.6 functionality). The -run switch (used for C
   scripting) now creates (in memory) static versions of your C. This is
   faster and the program occupies less space. You you don't want statically
   linked scripts you'll have to use -rdynamic with the -run switch.

--
                                                                Regards,
                                                                Emil