Re: [Tinycc-devel] TinyC++

From: Basile Starynkevitch
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TinyC++
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 08:01:39 +0200

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:43:04 -0500
"Rick C. Hodgin" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Basile,
>
> Hey!  I see you on both GCC mailing list and here.  Cool. :-)

Yes. And I am the main author of GCC MELT. See http://gcc-melt.org/ or
gcc.gnu.org/wiki/MELT; I believe it could interest you for your RDC.
(but please discuss MELT on address@hidden not here).

> I was not expecting a full ISO compliant compiler, but something that
> recognized classes, could work with member functions and data, etc.
> Something that could easily extend Tinyc's capabilities, but not bloat
> it all up.

What about templates or namespaces?

Unfortunately, I am not sure such a compiler would be useful: even if
some user may want a small subset of C++ (look into the Embedded C++
"standard"), it might not be the same subset from one user to another.
And most importantly, the major C++ library API (for instance C++
input/output streams) are defined using a lot of C++ features
(including templates).

Look at the Qt toolkit for instance. Even if it claims to not use
several C++ features, in practice it needs a nearly fully compliant C++
compiler to be compiled, and still the Qt API itself is not using all C+
+ features (but it depends on the stdc++ library which uses more of
them).

Cheers.

*** opinions {are only mine, sont seulement les miennes} ***