Re: [Tinycc-devel] Re: Tinycc-devel Digest, Vol 90, Issue 16

From: Rick C. Hodgin
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Re: Tinycc-devel Digest, Vol 90, Issue 16
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 05:56:52 -0500

> > The idea would be the encapsulation of the base C++ design, but without
> > all the bloat, the ability to create a quick application that would
> > compile under any C++ compiler, but using only these features.

> That would be an interesting extension or wrapper.
> I would be happy enough with c99 compliance, to wit VLA's.

I figure we'd need to spawn a new dev branch, abstract the front-end
logic (making sure it executes as it does today without any change), and
then it will have the ability to parse different front-end syntaxes, one
of which would be the c++ extension.

In the alternative, make solid builds of each, meaning instead of having
a single executable capable of parsing these different front-ends we'd
add (c and c++ for now, but possibly more later), we would have each one
be its own thing.  There would be a tinycc executable, and a tinyc++
executable, and each would only know its own syntax and only parse its
own include files.  In that way, the existing uses for tinycc would not
be changed, and the design could be more non-abstract, more
tied-to-the-language/implementation than it would be with the variable
front-ends.

Are you up for it? :)

- Rick