Re: [Tinycc-devel] TinyC++

From: Jared Maddox
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TinyC++
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 22:56:04 -0600

The sad thing about all of the TinyC++ proposals that I've seen in the
last ~10 months, is that while all of them focus on Classes, the
really useful stuff is Templates (for cookbook-style code & structure
definitions) and a modification of setjmp()/longjmp() to support
registering void (*func)( void* ), void* pairs (to support proper
cleanup when calling longjmp() ). The only thing that C++ Classes
provide that isn't dirt-simple to implement in plain C is improved
syntax (which admittedly I personally value) and multiple/virtual
inheritance.

In short, if you want to provide support for C++ features to TinyCC
(whether through a preprocessor, flags, or a separate program), please
do it via templates and a variant of setjmp()/longjmp() that supports
destructor registration, not through classes.