RE: [Tinycc-devel] Staging for -m32 option

From: Christian Jullien
Subject: RE: [Tinycc-devel] Staging for -m32 option
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 11:50:34 +0100

Hello Henry,

I personally vote for a unique binary and multiple 32/64 libs that can
generate either 32 or 64 bit using -m32/-m64 flag with -m32 mode be the
default.
The binary itself can be 32 or 64 bit. (i.e. the 32bit tcc version accepts
-m64 as well).
The main difficulty I see for the 32bit version is to correctly manage 64bit
constants:

#define BIG_INT   0x7ffffffffffffff

Which probably requires bignums.
Because of this possible constraint, alternate solution is to allow only the
tcc 64bit version to generate 64bit mode code when -m64 is supplied (no flag
is the same as if -m32 was supplied).

By symmetry, le 32bit version of compiler accepts -m32 but refuses -m64

At least with the 64bit compiler, you have a complete toolchain (and one
install) for 32/64bit code.

Christian