Re: [Tinycc-devel] configure: --sharedir documentation root

From: Henry Kroll
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] configure: --sharedir documentation root
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 15:23:12 -0800

On Thu, 2010-12-23 at 18:16 +0100, grischka wrote:
> Henry Kroll wrote:
> > After more searching around existing software puts documentation in
> > either or both places, and it looks like the following would be the most
> > common configuration and the one I would prefer, so I made this the
> > default:
> >
> > ./configure
> > Manual directory    /usr/local/share/man
> > Info directory      /usr/local/share/info
> > Doc directory       /usr/local/share/doc/tcc
> >
> > They can still be overridden individually and clever windows users can
> > set --sharedir= to the location of "My Documents"
>
> They could set it but it would not have any effect. ;)

It didn't before, but it does now.

./configure --enable-mingw32 --sharedir=C:/mydocs --tccdir=einham
Binary  directory   C:/Program Files/einham
TinyCC directory    C:/Program Files/einham
Library directory   C:/Program Files/einham/lib
Include directory   C:/Program Files/einham/include
Manual directory    C:/mydocs/man
Info directory      C:/mydocs/info
Doc directory       C:/mydocs/doc

> In any case, "--sharedir" is not an option that configure scripts
> usually have.  Why does tinycc need it?

I don't know. It started out as a convenience so I didn't have to
specify all 3 options man, doc, and info, and then I thought why not
expose it? And then I thought well, why not document it? So there it
is :P

> Also what is the deal with --tccdir?  Why do we need that?

The package review people objected to installing to "tcc" so I had to
install to "/usr/lib##/tinycc." In case other distros do the same or if
for some reason Program Files/tcc was taken I figured the best option
was to allow anyone to change the install directory name. The main point
of contention I have with it is unlike the other options, tccdir is not
a full path. The option should probably let the user specify a full path
(or use detection to not prepend a path if the name already contains
path information / or \).