Re: [Tinycc-devel] Hello!

From: Jakob Bornecrantz
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Hello!
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 00:12:33 +0200

2012/4/9 Milutin Jovanović <address@hidden>:

> Hi Jakob,
>
> Let me digress a little. I saw Notch's new baby, and it does seem very
> interesting. I thought of doing exactly what you did as well. But then I
> realised one thing. DCPU is a very limited, both in memory and instructions.
> Also Notch started talking about instrustion cost. This is all starting to
> sound to me that heavy optimization will be the name of the game. Do you
> feel that you can introduce Instruction cost based optimization into tcc?
> This is the main reason I decided not to go this route.

TCC is very simple and pretty much just compiles C directly without doing
much. And there the problem of DCPU not really being made with C mind.
Tho there are options for improving the output from tcc.

> A big plus on the other hand is that this would allow me to get to know
> innards of tcc much better, which I think would be big plus.
>
> Your thought, if any?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think TCC is still a viable option
as it has a lot of inbuilt helper tools, like it can emit and link objects. And
is full SDK in 150k of binary.

Cheers, Jakob.