Re: [Tinycc-devel] tcc_relocate() and tcc_relocate_ex()

From: Thomas Preud'homme
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] tcc_relocate() and tcc_relocate_ex()
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 15:34:23 +0800

Le jeudi 9 août 2012 23:52:35, Sean Conner a écrit :
> I have some existing code that used the stock TCC 0.9.25 distribution.  I
> was happy to find http://repo.or.cz/w/tinycc.git as it fixed some problems
> I had with stock TCC 0.9.25.
>
> But I was surprised that the API for tcc_relocate() was modified (and the
> log didn't reveal why the change happened) and that the change not only
> broke my existing code, but fixing my code to match the current definition
> of tcc_relocate() was out of the question (the surrounding code manages the
> lifetime of both the TCCState and the resulting executable code compiled
> into memory).
>
> To fix the problem, I patched the current version of TCC to promote
> tcc_relocate_ex() (which matches the original 0.9.25 behavior) to a public
> function.  Yes, I won't be able to use SELINUX, but that wasn't an issue
> with me.

Indeed, I agree the commit message is not very verbose as to the reason of the
change. For people interested, the said commit is
8bbde91f62291cb0383c2406ae6123be903c944b

That said, the change of API seems clearly intentional, as if 0.9.25's
behavior had a fundamental problem. Thus, I'm reluctant to apply your patch
right now. Grishka, could you tell us the context behind this revert?

> I tried following the directions to push my changes back into the mob
> branch, but the directions are a bit vague and they didn't work for me.
> Attached is an email patch.
>
>   -spc (For the curious, I made a Lua module for TCC, and it's Lua that
>       manages the memory for my application)

Best regards,

Thomas Preud'homme