Re: [Tinycc-devel] VPATH builds

From: grischka
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] VPATH builds
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 23:29:16 +0100

Thomas Preud'homme wrote:
In an ideal world make would offer name- and option-spaces natively
nowadays, and autospam would just bitrot somewhere as the small script
that it was once before it became a virus.  ... I got distracted.

What do you mean by name- and option-spaces?

I mean some kind of support for modularity.  For example, maybe I
just want to install the tcc arm cross-compiler:

    make cross-arm:install

So I might want to describe it like

    cross-arm :
        exe-name = arm-tcc
        cppflags += -D ...
        build-dir = build/arm
        install :
            location = ...
        runtime-lib :
            files += alloca-arm.c
            VPATH = lib/arm
            install :
                location = .../tcc/arm/lib

... plus maybe some default rules.

You get some of that with gnu-make's "target specific variables" except
that you can have just one per line, and that it works neither for
file-sets nor directories nor targets (and, as a special feature,
also not for VPATH).

Apropos VPATH, our new VPATH/out-of-tree build seems to have some
problems:
    ../tinycc/configure && make
doesn't work.  Problems also with
    make install
and possibly with
    configure --enable-cross
Akim?

Apropos problems, I've committed a new "tar" target (including some
CRLF conversion) and also removed the hard-coded version string from
build-tcc.bat.  That is two things less to worry about for release.

http://repo.or.cz/w/tinycc.git/commitdiff/5ebc6a964d49ebab862f3d006a28162c84644247

http://repo.or.cz/w/tinycc.git/commitdiff/b17439934091744afd0bc42ceefcc712f2fc2434

Apropos release, I'd agree though that a new release can well wait for
a new year. ;)

Thanks,

--- grischka