Re: [Tinycc-devel] Small patch

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Small patch
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 15:56:34 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> > >In such a case, a "default:" at the end with an assertion failure
> > >would have been better.
> >
> > No.  An assertion only makes sense to make sure about what we aren't
> > entirely sure.  In this case we are sure (that "default" never happens).
>
> You are sure *now*. But imagine that in the future you modify the "if"
> at the beginning of the loop to add a 4th operator but you forget to
> modify the switch...
>
> BTW, since you are sure now and think an assert is useless anyway,
> removing the "default:" (or adding an empty "default:" at the end)
> now should be completely safe.

It will lead to slower and/or larger code to add a default case with a
separate body.  The current way of doing it is IMO the exactly correct
way.  If people are really confused by that, put a comment next to the
'default:'.

Generally stylistic "warnings" of coverity (and actually not just
stylistic things) have to be taken with a huge amount of salt.

Ciao,
Michael.