Re: [Tinycc-devel] Do we want a BSD license for tinycc?

From: Milutin Jovanović
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Do we want a BSD license for tinycc?
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 09:22:15 -0400

Hi all,

Do we really think we can convince one another that static is better then dynamic linking?

My brother sent me this few days ago. Little did I know that it is true. :-)

"Arguing with an engineer is a lot like wrestling in the mud with a pig. After a few hours, you realize that he likes it."

I think it is telling that the longest conversation tcc mailing list has seen in a long time is of a 'religious' nature. With the range of opinions and the types of arguments used, it seems to me that it is unlikely a unanimous agreement can be reached. And a unanimous agreement is necessary to change the license (unless we want to throw away some commits).

The apparent situations I see is that while for most people BSD license is preferable and would be best choice for a new project, in practical terms switching is not feasible as the reasons are not strong enough to warrant the amount of work necessary, especially considering that tcc is not very active project.

My $.02

Miki Jovanovic.