Re: [Tinycc-devel] inline assembly and optimization passes

From: Vittorio Giovara
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] inline assembly and optimization passes
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 14:31:04 +0200

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 3:08 AM, Sylvain BERTRAND <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ----
>
> I wonder if the internals of tinycc can easily supports basic
> optimization passes. The idea is not to compete with gcc and its
> hundred of passes, but my guess is that very few optimization
> passes would be required to give a significant performance boost
> to generated code. Just need to select the "right" ones...

In my opinion, tinycc can remain without optimizations because it is
not one of the compiler design goals.
However there is one optimization that's more like a feature these
days: dead code elimination.
There are quite a few programs that completely rely on that and when
compiled with tcc plainly fail with a 'undefined symbol' error for
functions that are actually unused.

It would be really nice to have some compiler switch (if not
integrated) that enable this functionality.

Vittorio