Re: [Tinycc-devel] linking tinycc

From: Christian Jullien
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] linking tinycc
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 14:20:30 +0100

tcc and gcc are different. Gcc is an external tool that produces binary. There
is absolutely no problem for gcc to have GPL License.
The same applies for tcc for those who use tcc to produce binaries.
A very nice feature of tcc is that it can be used embedded in another program
to compile C code on the fly.
For example, my ISLISP version named OpenLisp (www.eligis.com) has a compiler
that compiles lisp file to C source code.
Currently, whether I use VC++, gcc, tcc, lcc, Watcom C... or any C compiler I
support, the process is to compile the generated source code and link the
binary into a new executable.
It would be nice to compile lisp code 'on the fly' with libtcc without having
to exit Lisp, compile, link and launch a new Lisp to use new compiled function.
LGPL prevents me to do that.

> Another possibility is that I might change my mind in the future.

Very well. I understand your opinion. Although I prefer the (L)GPL in spirit
for keeping contribution free, I understand the change to BSD and agree to it
as tcc itself remains free. Also, I wouldn't agree so easily if we were talking
about gcc instead of tcc :-)

Farewell and happy new year.

Thomasl