Re: [Tinycc-devel] Compiling tcc for use in a static environment

From: Thomas Preud'homme
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Compiling tcc for use in a static environment
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 20:37:33 +0800

Hi there,

Le mardi 8 avril 2014, 16:17:09 Steve Kemp a écrit :
>   I'm in the middle of building a rescue-system, and I would
>  like to be able to include a simple compiler within that
>  environment.
>
>   Ideally I'd like to see tcc compiled against uclibc, or
>  musl, however despite coming across prior art I've been
>  unsuccessful at making the thing work.
>
>   For example this link:
>     http://pts-mini-gpl.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/pts-tcc/
>
>   Contains a small diff, and a recipe, but for me that fails
>  to link.
>
>   Using musl I got as far as compiling tcc, but the generated
>  binaries themselves fail to link:
>
> $ /opt/tcc/bin/tcc t.c
> tcc: error: file 'crt1.o' not found
> tcc: error: file 'crti.o' not found

I didn't look much at the patch but noticed it hardcodes i686 as the target.
Is your system a 32 bit intel system? If no, that might explain what is the
problem you encounter.

Also you can try playing with the number of / (adding or removing one) in line
396 of the patch (the one that sets CONFIG_TCC_CRTPREFIX.

>   At this point I'm taking a step back and asking if there
>  are any existing recipes for building a static compiler
>  that can be used in a static-only environment (with no ldd
>  or linker present).

I suppose you mean no ld.so. Currently tcc fails to work with -static with
glibc but I don't know if that is the case with uclibc. I know there is some
line about uclibc in tcc's code so it should be supported but I never tried.

> Steve
> --

Best regards,

Thomas