Re: [Tinycc-devel] Win: Add Unicode support for _tmain and _tWinMain

From: Alexander De Sousa
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Win: Add Unicode support for _tmain and _tWinMain
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 13:53:30 +0200

Hi all, a couple of weeks ago I was looking into implementing Unicode entry points support as well, attached to this email there are the result patches against the head of the mob branch from that time.

It was only preliminary support for command line applications (no proper tests), adding support for GUI applications would follow the same scheme.

Some thoughts on the matter:
 - Separated startup code for Unicode entry points seem to be a must, I couldn't find any way of doing it using the current crt1 and wincrt1.
 - Third patch in a nutshell: check whether the wmain symbol is defined or not and choose the Unicode start point if it is, the appropriate startup is added through add_elf_sym and friends.
 - I didn't realize at the time, but the pe_is_unicode() function I defined could be replaced for a call to find_elf_sym.
 - Since Unicode builds are actually triggered by the _UNICODE macro being defined, an Unicode build could probably be identified already when the macro is detected to be defined. Maybe activating a flag at that point instead of looking for wmain or wWinMain when adding the startup code.

Committing the second patch is probably a good idea regardless of Unicode support being added, I think it helps maintainability.

Regards,
Alex.