Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC as default compiler

From: stephen Turner
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC as default compiler
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 09:33:04 -0500

On Dec 9, 2014 2:31 AM, "Daniel Glöckner" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 01:19:55AM -0500, stephen Turner wrote:
> > I have found tcc and wondered how viable it is as a alternative to gcc and
> > clang/llvm for my uses.
>
> What is your motivation to switch away from gcc/clang?
> The benefits of TinyCC are smaller and faster compiler but it is
> by far less tested and only does minor optimizations.

Currently im using little to no optimizations anyways and think I prefer it that way.

> > Does it use makefiles?
>
> It's a compiler, not a development environment.
> Or are you asking if the compiler is built using makefiles?

Makefiles as in the buildscripts? Prepacked with most programs now. The ones which I believe help give that make make install functionality.  I know to handle make files the gnu program make is needed. Unless tcc can replace make as well?

> > can it be a simple drop in replacement for GCC (atleast for c if not c++
> > too)
>
> For simple code, yes.

You say simple code like it could be a bad thing. Does c have complex code as well? If it does then its safe to assume it would fail compiling some gnu tools even if they are purely c correct?