Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC as default compiler

From: cbdev
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC as default compiler
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 15:54:32 +0100

Hi Stephen,

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 7:19 AM, stephen Turner
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I have found tcc and wondered how viable it is as a alternative to gcc and
> clang/llvm for my uses

I'm actively using tcc as my main compiler, only switching back to GCC
on demand for eg. running tests with valgrind (as tcc's debug symbols
currently do not work with valgrind).
So far, it works perfectly for my C projects, producing reasonably
small output binaries very fast.
You should of course be aware that tcc does almost no optimizations,
instead translating the code almost literally - which I perceive as an
advantage (The reasoning being that when my code is performing well
when compiled without lots of optimization, it will most likely run
even better with an optimizing compiler).

> Does it use makefiles?
If you want to use them. Makefiles are processed by make, not by tcc,
so that's completely independent. In most shells, you can try to run
make with tcc instead of whatever your default C Compiler is by
running
address@hidden:/path/to/project$ CC=tcc make
This might not work if the project you're trying to compile is using
functionality that tcc does not support.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
cbdev