Re: [Tinycc-devel] modern c++ compiler written in C

From: u-tcc-uepj
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] modern c++ compiler written in C
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 11:43:54 +0200

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 11:15:27AM +0200, Anaël Seghezzi wrote:
> Personally I don't see converting C++ to C as practical or realistic, just
> because of the complexity of modern c++.
>
> To have, lets say, a C++11 to C99 compiler would require a huge and complex
> compiler, it might even require something like clang, so why use TCC as a
> back-end ?
> Selecting only a subset of c++ features is almost like designing another
> language, modern code base won't compile on it.
> It's probably saner to use (or design) another language than c++ to compile
> to C.

I second your argumentation, considering that there is already that
"another language" - which is C++ as it was at cfront time.

That dialect is practically useful and it is also known that its
translator to C (including all features of the cfront3-dialect) can be
quite compact by today's measure. It is also compatible to the "bigger"
C++ for programs written with portability in mind.

>From this perspective it is both practical and realistic to translate
that language to C, whether or not it would be called "C++".

Rune