[Tinycc-devel] OT (Re: modern c++ compiler written in C)

From: u-tcc-uepj
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] OT (Re: modern c++ compiler written in C)
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 20:24:37 +0200

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 07:54:17PM +0300, Sergey Korshunoff wrote:
> Hi! Plan 9 Edition 4 Cfront update
> http://www.quintile.net/plan9/c++/index.html
> There is LLONG as VLONG present.
>
> And http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Bell_Labs
> 1995  Plan 9 2nd edition      Released by Bell Labs for non-commercial
> purposes[13]
> cfront was there.

Sorry to sound negative but what says that the Plan 9 license
is applicable to cfront, even if somebody ported it there?

The cfront "porting status" document explicitly refers to the very
site and source which bears the "historical research only" license.

The cfront2 source you mentioned in another message says among others:
cfront/main.c
-----------------
THIS IS UNPUBLISHED PROPRIETARY SOURCE CODE of AT&T and UNIX System
Laboratories, Inc.  The copyright notice above does not evidence
any actual or intended publication of such source code.

So unless we find a statement from AT&T that they remove the restrictions
specified in the licenses which we have seen up to now, we are not in
clear waters. Historical research - yes. Any practical application -
only at one's own risk, left to the discretion of AT&T to wipe one out
of existence or not.

Rune