Re: [Tinycc-devel] modern c++ compiler written in C (food for thought)

From: Sergey Korshunoff
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] modern c++ compiler written in C (food for thought)
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 07:14:55 +0300

Hi Basile

> A C++ compiler needs to be optimizing. The C++ language specification sort-of
> requires an > > optimizing compiler

Did you say that a usual C compiler (gcc, clang) can not optimize as a C++ does?
A tcc compiler is a compiler for a development speedup. A final stage
can be build by the usual compiler.

> So the bulk of the compiler would be coded in some language X (to be chosen,
> or designed > ad-hoc), and it will contain a translator from X to C or C++
> (and the repository would also
> contain the translated form of that translator).

There are nim, rock, vala, A good choise for the new project. But
there is a plenty of the medium level C++ programs (even Qt), A C
repository of the such code is a good chance for freedom. And for the
source level optimizers.

> For what it is worth, MELT (which is mostly my work) is demonstrating that
> this is possible,
> since it is a domain specific language to extend and customize GCC. See
> http://gcc-melt.org/

Nice! Thanks!

> I'm not motivated enough to start coding alone a compiler for C or C++

Compilers are there. But what we get from them -- only assembler output