Re: [Tinycc-devel] RE :Re: VLA implementation

From: Edmund Grimley Evans
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] RE :Re: VLA implementation
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 09:26:07 +0000

Christian JULLIEN:

> Hi, as C11 allows VLA I don't see any reasons to warn when it is used.

C99 requires them; C11 made them into an optional feature.

> However, as some tcc backend (like ARM) don't currently support VLA, a C
> code working code on x86 will fail on ARM.

It would be very easy to extend the current implementation to include
ARM, but the current implementation is not compatible with signal
handlers, or anything similar, asynchronously using the same stack.

> If some backend have HW limitation (e.g. no more than 4K), tcc should detect
> this limit and display a warning if it does not apply for the current
> backend or raise an error if it apply (e.g. ARM).

Do we have any reason to expect there to be such a limitation?
(Obviously there are lots of circumstances in which the stack
shouldn't grow by too much, but that is not a VLA-specific
consideration.)

Edmund