Re: [Tinycc-devel] You can use __declspec in TCC?

From: Daniel Glöckner
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] You can use __declspec in TCC?
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 01:54:09 +0100

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 02:38:50PM -0800, Ben Hutchinson wrote:
> Also, I thought that to make it stdcall, you
> needed to use __attributes__((stdcall)), not a standalone __stdcall. These
> are the "weird" things that set TCC apart from all other C compilers I
> thought, yet you say these C compiler standards also work in TCC?
>
> And by the way, I think __stdcall (with 2 underscores) for setting the use
> of STDCALL calling convention is a Microsoft thing (as used in VC++). The
> official C standard for setting the use of STDCALL calling convention is
> actually supposed to be _stdcall (with 1 underscore). Isn't that correct?

stdcall is a Microsoft thing. What are these C compiler standards you are
talking about? AFAIK there are no standards for stdcall, only conventions.

In a time before Cygwin and MinGW GCC did not know about stdcall.
As GCC already had some other __attribute__((somethings)) they implemented
stdcall as another function attribute instead of adding a new keyword.
To get the Microsoft keyword #define __stdcall __attribute__((stdcall))

__stdcall has two underscores because the C standard (the real standard)
says that all names that begin with two underscores are reserved, meaning
you're on your own if there are name clashes when your code introduces a
variable, function, or macro with the same name.

  Daniel