Re: [Tinycc-devel] License is too restrictive for real-world use.

From: Sean Conner
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] License is too restrictive for real-world use.
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 03:06:03 -0500

It was thus said that the Great Nids once stated:
> John B said:
> > Please, if you want to consider tinycc being more relevant than it is, and
> > being adopted in big ways so that people can build push calls instead of
> > pull scripts, it just hinges on dropping the toxic lgpl and switching to
> > e.g. bsd.  There are so many things I want to do with tinycc but that is
> > not why I want to be a developer.  Not until I win the lottery, anyway.
>
> Ehm... No.
>
> The LGPL just states that when you redistribute your product, the code of
> TinyCC, or its modified version, must be redistributed/made available. The
> same does NOT apply to the code that links against it.

  The other term (or restriction, depending upon your view point) is that
the user needs to be able to use a modified version of the LGPL library in
the product.  Making TCC a shared library makes this easy to do (since the
user can then replace the with their own modified TCC).  Using a statically
compiled LGPL library is a bit tougher---you have to provide all the object
files to relink the product with their own version of TCC (in this case).

  -spc