Re: [Tinycc-devel] License is too restrictive for real-world use.

From: John B
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] License is too restrictive for real-world use.
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 10:08:59 +0000

lol, maybe there is a small misunderstanding between desire and reality.
Everyone can dream big but I don't recall saying Bill Gates was addressing the
room.  I have big dreams and live on a shoestring budget.  The kicker is my
project idea will take me several months and I don't want to commit to
something I won't be able to use if and when I finish it.  I welcome any kind
of dissenting opinion and I am not going to lie to anyone about my intentions.
But my intentions are exactly that and nothing built yet, and it is almost
ironic that people like me get accused of being greedy after replying to emails
such as this one.  Rest assured my passion projects to date have not been
commercially viable, but I keep trying.

There is a real impact to the time it takes to build something.  Yes I do have
an idea where I can apply a modified version of tinycc.  Honestly though? I can
think of a trillion different ways I can use it as well if not for idea # 1.
So another part of it is flexibility.  And more over I really hate that you
guys put a lot of work into this and it remains in perpetual toy status because
people are afraid of lgpl.  There is after all, a reason other open source
licenses exist.

Maybe being upfront with this community was a mistake but I knew that risk and
10/10 would take it again.  I just wish you would see that at least I am not
lying to anyone.  Again, you ask for kickbacks fine but don't do it in the same
email as trying to take a moral high ground with me.

As far as contributing source code back, it would have to be under a fork.  And
I would do that though I suspect my derivative wouldn't be as much use to you
guys.  But the point about giving it back vs. tying it to my program is simply
de-identification.  I hope that makes sense.  I don't want the source code of
my software revealed, but if it is revealed where nobody would ever know it
belongs, then I can't imagine there being anything wrong with that in theory.