Re: [Tinycc-devel] MAJOR bug: tcc doesn't detect duplicate cases in swit

From: Christian Jullien
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] MAJOR bug: tcc doesn't detect duplicate cases in switch statements
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 10:45:08 +0100

In ideal world, a [C] compiler should be:
- extremely fast to compile your code (i.e. very nervous development cycles)
- produce a highly optimized code for ultimate program speed
- complain about suspicious, not portable or not compliant code

Unfortunately, no compiler achieve all those goals.

- gcc has very good program speed with -O3 but is slow to compile compared
to tcc even with -O0.
- gcc is not as good as clang to analyze suspicious code and no one compares
to splint on this task.

It means serious programmers use many different tools to build their
programs.
Just on Windows, I compile my OpenLisp Lisp 33 times with 8 different
compilers using different options. I also use splint to very that my code is
strict.

Often, when I write a new feature, I prefer tcc because of its unsurpassed
compilation speed. When code seems to work, I use the complete tool chain
which includes 33 different compilations.
But, when I'm going to make a release, it is compiled 21 extra times on:
openlisp-10.2.0-AIX-powerpc.tar.gz
openlisp-10.2.0-FreeBSD-arm.tar.gz
openlisp-10.2.0-FreeBSD-x86_64.tar.gz
openlisp-10.2.0-Linux-armv6l.tar.gz
openlisp-10.2.0-Linux-armv7l.tar.gz
openlisp-10.2.0-Linux-i686.tar.gz
openlisp-10.2.0-Linux-powerpc.tar.gz
openlisp-10.2.0-Linux-powerpc64.tar.gz
openlisp-10.2.0-Linux-powerpc64le.tar.gz
openlisp-10.2.0-Linux-sparc.tar.gz
openlisp-10.2.0-Linux-sparc64.tar.gz
openlisp-10.2.0-Linux-x86_64.tar.gz
openlisp-10.2.0-NetBSD-i686.tar.gz
openlisp-10.2.0-NetBSD-x86_64.tar.gz
openlisp-10.2.0-OpenBSD-i386.tar.gz
openlisp-10.2.0-OpenBSD-x86_64.tar.gz
openlisp-10.2.0-QNX-i386.tar.gz
openlisp-10.2.0-SunOS-i386.tar.gz
openlisp-10.2.0-SunOS-sparc.tar.gz
openlisp-10.2.0-SunOS-sparc64.tar.gz
openlisp-10.2.0-SunOS-x86_64.tar.gz

What I try to explain is: use tcc for what is it good for. To me a MAJOR bug
is when a valid C program generates a wrong code or refuses to compile.

My 2c on this debate.

Christian