Re: [Tinycc-devel] Implementing gcc intrinsics

From: Vladimir Vissoultchev
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Implementing gcc intrinsics
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 12:45:44 +0300

This is a noble goal and tcc does a great job for the size of the codebase.

On the other hand using libtcc looks like a good way to JIT and/or compile
other languages quickly. Parse X language, emit plain C, ship a runtime and
you are in business :-)) This prospect attracts wannabe language enthusiasts
like myself and I won't be surprised if a new goal for "tcc as a language
kit" becomes popular.

Emitting plain C and using libtcc allows language X to be even interpreted
in it's own IDE before later compiling again with tcc (or with gcc -O2 if
available) to executables. So again I see this has been discussed, tcc as a
backend/JIT is attractive alternative provided that it now even has adequate
GAS support -- intrinsics are natural further development it this case.

I hate code-bloat and can see the "scars" the mob branch has inflicted on
the codebase. Now I consider some of my earlier commits to be mistakes
(tcc's -dM option anyone?) but sometimes impl a new feature in 10 lines of
code look very tempting. Copy/pasting 150 lines from
parse_line_comment/parse_comment I just don't understand.

cheers,
</wqw>