Re: [Tinycc-devel] precompiled headers

From: David Mertens
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] precompiled headers
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 07:08:55 -0400

Sergey,

I think your command-line design and output are sensible. I have a command-line option for producing similar output, but it's much clunkier. If you want to try your hand at implementing this, feel free to fork my version of tcc on github and issue a pull request. (You can also issue pull requests to merge tcc's updates into my fork, if you have work on that.)

David

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 4:13 AM, Sergey Korshunoff <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi!
> David Mertens wrote:
> If there is an argument to be made for including exsymtab, it would probably be based on these results. It is plausible to use symbol table caching and serializing/deserializing to avoid loading and parsing standard header files. This could potentially reduce compilation times. If you (we?) could show measurable performance gains with such a modification, then it might get broader support for being included with tcc.

As I see this today. For example, I prefer to speed up tccboot kernel
compilation.
A current command to compile is like
  tcc -o vmlinux linux/kernel/init.c linux/arch/kernel/head.c ...

With -cheaders[=dDIR] option tcc will precompile headers in each *.c
before  the first C token is seen and create files
[DIR]linux/kernel/init.tch, [DIR]linux/arch/kernel/head.tch,...  or
use these files if they already present. I think this is better and
don't need a special tuning.