Re: [Tinycc-devel] -fPIC anyone?

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] -fPIC anyone?
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 15:25:56 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016, Jean-Claude Beaudoin wrote:

> Hello TCC devs,
>
> I am starting an effort to implement -fPIC support for real in TCC.
> The target is to have TCC generate full fledged shared libraries
> on ELF platforms.

For which architectures?  For x86_64 that's already implemented.  On i386
you can produce shared libraries but they contain .text relocations (i.e.
are unshared at runtime).  Dunno about arm64.

> Any objection?  Any advice?
>
> I noticed also that "constructors" have been at the top of the TODO list
> for ages now. If we are talking here of "__attribute__ ((constructor))"
> then I am definitely interested in knowing what is up with that too?

I'm guessing as well it's about the ctor and dtor attributes.  That's
relatively easy to add: for all functions so marked you need to put
addresses of them into a .init_array (.fini_array) section. (Or rather
into ELF sections of type SHT_INIT_ARRAY or SHT_FINI_ARRAY, the name isn't
relevant, but this one is customary).

The linker part of tcc also needs two additions: when the input objects
contain sections of type SHT_INIT_ARRAY or SHT_FINI_ARRAY it needs to add
{INIT,FINI}_ARRAY{,SZ} dynamic tags covering those.

Ciao,
Michael.