[Tinycc-devel] Removal of certain windows headers---why?

From: David Mertens
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] Removal of certain windows headers---why?
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 12:39:14 -0400

Hello everyone,

A couple of weeks ago Grishka removed some header files copied from the msys project. (Or is in MinSys? I don't know, but you know what I'm talking about.) These were added so that tcc could compile Perl header files on Windows. I had previously added a number of msys files to tcc for this reason, but the list was incomplete. seyko added these files to tcc in 2015, based on their existence in my own fork of tcc. So, they were added in the same spirit as other files I previously added. Now, of course, they are gone.

When I added the (apparently incomplete) collection of headers, I asked for permission from the mailing list. The consensus seemed to be that if Perl needed it, the headers were probably important enough to include. Is this still the consensus?

If it is, I will re-add them some time soon-ish.

Thanks!
David

P.S. We don't provide a full set of tcc-compatible system header files for Unixen: we assume the system provides these or they are easy to obtain. We have provided a minimal set for Windows because tcc-compatible system headers are much harder to obtain on this OS.