Re: [Tinycc-devel] core dump on FreeBSD with last commit "configure: --t

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] core dump on FreeBSD with last commit "configure: --triplet= option, Makefile: cleanup"
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 17:20:22 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016, grischka wrote:

> Honestly, in my book the cross compilers are just to test
> compilation,  they are not assumed to work out of the box.
> (Except the windows compiles where everything you need comes
> with the source and therefor is well known where it is).

I generally sympathize with this, except for one case: where the cross
compilers aren't really "cross" :)  E.g. on my linux x86-64 system I'd
expect x86_64-tcc and ./tcc be basically the same.  Also the i386-tcc
should be basically a native compiler that acts like gcc -m32.  I agree
that for e.g. ./arm-tcc on such system all bets are off.

> There is no support whatsoever from our configure either.
> People tried to "fix" that but I was not able to detect
> any underlying concept.

Right, there were only hacks over hacks that made it sort of work for most
people :)  I also agree that cleaning this up would be better.

> As to the lib/lib64 issue, whatever you can figure out I'm fine.

Okay, perhaps on the weekend.

> Except I'd prefer to have the logic in only one location, that
> is NOT in both the Makefile AND configure, because that is just
> confusing.

Yeah.

> FYI: on my (old 8.10 from 2008) ubuntu 64, there is /usr/lib64,
> but it is a link to /usr/lib.  There is also /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu,
> but it is empty.  I was under the impression that lib64 was an
> old misguided concept from the early 64 bit days. Maybe I was wrong.

Yeah, no, it wasn't really misguided.  Simply the first approach to deal
with a multi-arch system; at the time we did the x86-64 port there were
already some systems that used similar models: ia64 with its /libx86, and
Solaris with /usr/lib/64.  Of course once you do something like that
you're bound to never change it again because it'd break all userspace :-/

The debian multi-arch way was invented much later to solve a larger
problem (that of _really_ having cross architecture libs on one system).
The debian based distros eventually picked this up (though, of course, the
older /lib64 way is still supported), the rpm based ones didn't bother.

I'll try to come up with something.

Ciao,
Michael.