Re: [Tinycc-devel] Question about compiling TCC with MSYS2

From: avih
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Question about compiling TCC with MSYS2
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 12:08:20 +0000 (UTC)

Ben, again, please post to the list such that others could reply too.

On Sunday, January 22, 2017 7:41 AM, Ben Hutchinson <address@hidden> wrote:

> So I'm reading your instructions at http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/tinycc-devel/2016-10/msg00067.html and notice step 3 says
>
> 3. Install required tools: pacman -S --force git make diffutils texinfo mingw-w64-i686-gcc
>    * due to bug at the current installer, the first 32 and 64 installs require --force: https://github.com/Alexpux/MSYS2-packages/issues/689
>
> So what does that mean? Does that mean:
> You should be able to do "pacman -S --force git make diffutils texinfo mingw-w64-i686-gcc" but this doens't work because of a bug, so therefore you use this type command instead "--force: https://github.com/Alexpux/MSYS2-packages/issues/689"?
>
> Or is "--force: https://github.com/Alexpux/MSYS2-packages/issues/689" an extra step that you have to do, in addition to "pacman -S --force git make diffutils texinfo mingw-w64-i686-gcc"?
>
> Please be more clear in your instructions, prefferably including commands that I can literally copy out of your tutorial, and paste as-is into my MSYS2 console, and run straight away without any problems, or require any changes that would make the run commands different from the ones you pasted in your tutorial.

It means you should run exactly "pacman -S --force git make diffutils texinfo mingw-w64-i686-gcc", and the next line explains why this command has a "--force" in it (if you follow the link), which generally should not be required. In fact, it's probably not required anymore already (the "--force" part), but it wouldn't hurt either. So you can still stick to these instructions.

> I'm not good with fancy C command lines, where even one tiny mistake can break the entire compilation process. I'm more used to C programs that can be compiled simply with something like "compiler.exe myprog.c" and out pops "mycode.exe". Since compiling TCC is obviously far more complex than this, please make it as easy as possible, for a noob like me to do, by writing a very clear tutorial with every step laid out, and don't assume any prior knowledge of proper use of GCC (or any other C compiler) on my part, because as I said I'm a noob..

While the instructions don't have even a tiny mistake, if you want to compile a compiler you should probably be able to overcome tiny mistakes or inaccuracies in instructions by yourself, or even be able to deduce and do some things without instructions, because it happens a lot, and especially when compiling complex software.