[Tinycc-devel] Fw: Ready for Release 0.9.27

From: avih
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] Fw: Ready for Release 0.9.27
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 08:16:21 +0000 (UTC)

On Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:15 AM, avih <address@hidden> wrote:

> You may set CC=tcc, but then we still do not want to compare the
> output of tcc with the output of tcc, obviously.

It's not obvious to me. If your system compiler is some stable version of tcc, then that's your reference which the newly compiled tcc should adhere to.

> Actually we do not want any of the expect files to be rebuild by
> users and testers at all.

IIRC these files do get generated when invoking "make test", which is the reason I replaced it with $(CC) in the first place - it was failing to complete the tests when gcc was not available.

Also, not very relevant right now since it's hard to cross compile tcc, but your reference compiler might not even be the native gcc.

In general, if the user sets a custom compiler to build tcc with, then that's the compiler which should generate the expect files.

Alternatively, if you think the expect files should be the same regardless of the compiler used, then don't generate them with "make test". Instead maybe add "make expect" which generates them whenever they should be changed and which would then be pushed to the repo.

> On the downside as a developer you need to delete the .expect file
> manually if you want it to be rebuilt.

I don't recall that to be the case. Do correct me if I'm wrong, but at least with out of tree builds, running "configure && make && make test" - does generate the expect files.