Re: [Tinycc-devel] Fw: Ready for Release 0.9.27

From: grischka
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Fw: Ready for Release 0.9.27
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 18:27:54 +0100

Vladimir Vissoultchev wrote:
* can someone please check & possibly fix the MSVC solution files in
  win32/VS2015?   Otherwise I'm tempted to remove that folder.

Just fixed project files in mob to generate config.h from VERSION as a
pre-build task, so solution
should compile ok on fresh checkout (w/o running build-tcc.bat beforehand).

Thanks.  However I'm still not convinced that we should keep that, seen
that it's an entire folder with 4 files just for the effect of two
simple command lines, such as:

  cl ..\libtcc.c -Felibtcc.dll -DTCC_TARGET_PE -DTCC_TARGET_I386 -DONE_SOURCE
-DLIBTCC_AS_DLL
      -O1 -Zi -GS- -MT -W2 -LD -nologo -link -opt:ref,icf

  cl ..\tcc.c -Fetcc.exe -DTCC_TARGET_PE -DTCC_TARGET_I386
      -O1 -Zi -GS- -MT -W2 -nologo -link -opt:ref,icf libtcc.lib

Plus there are still problems:

* it easily gets outdated (and obviously already is since we have
  the new i386(etc)-link.c files)

* AFAICS it does not generate libtcc1.a,

* it does not create the tiny_xxx tools

* it does not copy the ../include files into win32/include
  (which is necessary for a working compiler)

So after all it's still far away from creating a working compiler
from fresh checkout.  One could say: it is not useful at all.

Would you mind removing the folder?

Btw, for win32 spawn quoting this article explains the problem and offers a
fix (ArgvQuote function)

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/twistylittlepassagesallalike/2011/04/23/eve
ryone-quotes-command-line-arguments-the-wrong-way/

Yep, but I really don't want to go that far for now.  After all we still
want to use spawnvp and not a total replacement with CreateProcess that
ends up bigger than entire tcc.c.

cheers,

--- grischka

cheers,