Re: [Tinycc-devel] Very sorry - newbie questions

From: Tony Robinson
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Very sorry - newbie questions
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 16:33:18 +0000

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 12:45:08 +0800
From: KHMan <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

Just curious, I assume your project has to do with electronics
hardware in some form real or virtual, and related to embedded
hardware -- so I would like to ask one thing: Have you considered
SDCC? If so, would you like to comment on any TCC vs SDCC
considerations with regards to your project needs? (It is not my
intention to compare and declare winners, but only curious to
learn which one fits particular needs better in your case...)

My impression was that SDCC is the right choice if you wanted to run on one of the supported processors, or had a lot of resources behind you and wanted to provide really good support for a new processor.

The manual says "8.3 Retargetting for other Processors: The issues for retargetting the compiler are far too numerous to be covered by this document." It does point to a very brief wiki page, http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/SDCC_internals_and_porting, for which the main link is broken. There's pointers to two threads which don't see relevant.

So, in summary, I felt I had no chance with SDCC, it's too big and porting isn't documented.

That won't stop me using the floating point support though!

Tony