[Tinycc-devel] Commit f077d16c (gen_cast: cast FLOAT to DOUBLE)

From: Michael Matz
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] Commit f077d16c (gen_cast: cast FLOAT to DOUBLE)
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 22:29:07 +0200 (CEST)

Hey grischka,

some of my patches interact with $subject, and I have difficulties to determine what the purpose of that commit was. The comments ("to avoid precision loss" (... when converting to int)) don't really clarify much. I also can't find testcases (on x86-64) where the commit mattered, so before starting to work around that in my patch can you please clarify its purpose?

(FWIW: the implementation of fix{uns,}sfdi as well as gen_cvt_ftoi on x86-64 and arm64 are IMO correct. Were you perhaps worried about the x87 registers always internally using wide precision?)

Ciao,
Michael.