Re: [Tinycc-devel] Location of libtcc1.a referred to in application deb

From: Rajesh Jayaprakash
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Location of libtcc1.a referred to in application deb file
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 12:02:46 +0530

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 3:25 AM, Thomas Preud'homme <address@hidden> wrote:
On mercredi 6 septembre 2017 13:25:41 BST Rajesh Jayaprakash wrote:
> Dear TinyCC developers,

Hi Rajesh,

Sorry for the late reply.

> Apologies if this query doesn't belong here.
>
> I use tcc for compiling the C code generated at runtime in my application (
> github.com/shikantaza/pLisp). I build the application by linking to the tcc
> static library, and package it into a deb file using dpkg-deb. tcc is
> mentioned as a dependency for the deb.

If you want to make a deb file, why not have a Debian source package and make
it build depend on libtcc-dev as well? If that is too much hassle, you should
at least link against the libtcc.a file provided by libtcc-dev (see below).

> When some users install the application and attempt to run it, they get the
> error "tcc: error: file '/usr/local/lib/tcc/libtcc1.a' not found". This
> file is actually found in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/tcc in their machine.

Doing the above should fix the issue as the libtcc.a in libtcc-dev will expect
libtcc1.a in the same path as the path for libtcc1.a in the tcc package.

> Am I missing something in building the deb package (i.e., is the location
> reference to libtcc1.a incorrectly hardwired into my application, since
> /usr/local/lib is the location of the tcc library in the machine where the
> dpgk-deb command was run)?

I'd rather say it's incorrectly hardwired in the libtcc you built.
Alternatively the deb you provide could include the libtcc1.a in the path it
expects it to be but the solution above is much better.

Best regards,

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your guidance, I'll investigate both the options suggested by you.

Regards,
Rajesh