Re: [Tinycc-devel] forward asm symbols vs static

From: grischka
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] forward asm symbols vs static
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 10:42:09 +0100

Michael Matz wrote:
It'd be very surprising for my patch to have this effect. It affects symbol table entries, and AFAICS that doesn't influence if the .def file is generated or not. Ultimately it's created from pe_build_exports(), which itself is called when processing the first writable data section. I don't see how commit e7c71e24 could make a difference.

Are you sure the .def file isn't generated by a TCC from a commit before?

Otherwise I'm at a loss, and not having a Windows system I can't help much. grischka, any ideas?

<outfilename>.def is created automatically if an "export table" with
at least one symbol (with __attribute__((dllexport))) is created for
the dll or exe.

This is done so for convenience  and corresponds to msvc behavior which
creates .exp and .lib files automatically in that case because if the
module (exe/dll) exports symbols then most likely in order to be linked
with other modules at some point.

The observed effect - thanks to avih for the heads up - obviously
comes from the abuse of sym.a.dllexport in tccasm.c.  Whether there
could be a similar effect from using sym.a.dllimport - less likely
I'd think but maybe still possible.

However,... I see that end of the year we have other things to do.

Therefor, as it stands now, I'm tempted to suggest to you, Michael, to
wait with release for that other idea that you did mention (with single
symtab for both asm and C, etc.) to grow into shape.

After all, no need to hurry, what do you think?

Ciao,

--- grischka

Ciao,
Michael.