Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC version 0.9.27 is out

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC version 0.9.27 is out
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 14:26:45 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017, Michael B. Smith wrote:

[1] Other than _Complex/_Imaginary (which C11 now identifies as "optional") does anyone have a clear view of what is missing to be c99 compliant? (I've read the standard and I can build a basic test suite, but I just wondered if someone already had the answer.)

c99 support should be relatively complete (as far as the compiler is concerned, for full c99 compat you need of course a conforming C library as well, if you don't merely want freestanding). Of course bugs happen, so if you find anything, don't hesitate to report here. Depending on circumstance we might want to fix them.

[2] Can 0.9.27 compile a current Linux kernel? Can it generate a bootable Linux kernel?

Yes, with some smallish changes to the kernel. Note that the kernel has a much larger set of requirements than c99: it needs some optimizations to happen (generally dead code), it needs inline asm support, and it needs certain attributes to be implemented and data layout rule to be followed. But yes, one of my testbeds is a x86-64 4.6.0 linux kernel with an about 1000 lines patch on top. (And another is a ancient 32bit 2.4.37 kernel with custom build scripts).

[3] TODO seems ancient. What is the real TODO?

There's none. Or, if you insist, then something along the lines of "fix reporte bugs, keep stuff small, hack on it to have fun" :)

Ciao,
Michael.