[Tinycc-devel] Porting tcc to Xtensa and running it on the ESP32

From: Lars Hochstetter
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] Porting tcc to Xtensa and running it on the ESP32
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 17:39:06 +0100

Hi everyone,

I (newbie) was wondering how difficult it would be to

1. port tcc to the Tensilica Xtensa platform
2. run the port on the ESP32 (e.g. as a JIT compiler in a Read-Eval-Print Loop)

Would 2. be possible at all?

Assuming both points are possible, I would attempt to realize them as follows:

1. port tcc to the Tensilica Xtensa variant used in the ESP32 (I would probably take a look at the gcc Xtensa port or similar) 2. verify that it actually produces the appropriate code (i.e. write some programms / use the ESP-IDF SDK examples)
3. recompile tcc using the port
4. "somehow" get it to run on the ESP32

Point 4 sounds pretty ambiguous - I don't know if I should use the FreeRTOS port for the ESP32 (tcc could run as a FreeRTOS task and receive input through e.g. the serial interface) or use an bare-metal approach.

Kind regards,

lhochstetter