[Tinycc-devel] Resource compiling with TCC not working

From: Florian Schieder
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] Resource compiling with TCC not working
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:54:13 +0100

Hello there,

this is Florian Schieder from Germany (please excuse my bad English :D). Currently I am working with the Tiny C Compiler for my Windows projects.

At the moment, I am having an issue with passing resource object files to the compiler. The information file for windows (tcc-win32.txt) says it should be working the following way:

TCC can link windows resources in coff format as generated by MinGW's
windres.exe.  For example:

windres -O coff app.rc -o appres.o
tcc app.c appres.o -o app.exe

For testing purposes, I have chosen to build some WinAPI example programs (from "TheForger's Win32 Tutorial", http://winprog.org/tutorial) to see how reliable the TCC is working for the purposes I need. It's working very well, apart from compiling the resources.

I am currently using the following commands to build one of the example programs:
tcc -c app_four.c -o app_four.o
windres -O coff app_four.rc -o app_four.rc.o
tcc -ladvapi32 -lcomctl32 -lgdi32 -luser32 -luxtheme -lcomdlg32 app_four.o app_four.rc.o -o app_four.exe

Everything works fine until the last line, when TCC says: app_four.rc.o: error: unrecognized file type

I assume something with the resource output is wrong, but I have no idea what's wrong there, because I exactly copied the code from the tcc-win32.txt and just changed the file names. I am using tcc version 0.9.27 (x86_64 Windows) and GNU windres (GNU Binutils) 2.24.

I would look forward to hear an answer from you to solve this problem - thank you very much in advance for your answer!

Yours sincerely,

Florian Schieder