[Tinycc-devel] Compiling to Bare Metal and to Unusual Targets ?

From: Patrick
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] Compiling to Bare Metal and to Unusual Targets ?
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 16:48:15 -0400

Hi Everyone

I have a couple of experiments I want to run. I would like to compile a self hosted executable to run on a BeagleBone or Raspberry Pi without an OS.

I built with --enable-cross so I have a Linux to Arm tcc compiler installed.

Could I confirm,  I use:

--oformat,binary

To create a standalone binary? Could you tell me if you think I am about to fall into a pit?

I also like Minix3. I haven't used it in quite a while but one thing I didn't like was the complex build.sh, borrowed from NetBSD. You can build the kernel and userland all in one go but it's hard to modify as it's so huge and complex.

I was thinking that I would use the tcc compiler on Linux but I would use the C libraries/system libraries from Minix. Both are i386 so I am hoping that I will be able to build a cross compiler by simply adding the right libraries and everything will just work. I realize that I will have to build them before I link them.

I am a little mixed up, ./configure --help offers these options:

Is this how I include a path to an alternative set of headers?

"--sysincludepaths=...    specify system include paths, colon separated"

Is this how I add a path to an alternative set of shared objects or static archives? ?

"--libpaths=...           specify system library paths, colon separated"

The following is for libraries already included in the tcc tarball right? If we wanted to compile to Minix or BSD, this is not going to help right?

"--config-uClibc,-musl,-mingw32... enable system specific configurations"

Thanks for reading-Patrick