Re: [Tinycc-devel] Building Mach-O binaries/object files

From: Ivan Medoedov
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Building Mach-O binaries/object files
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 20:47:09 +0200

Thanks a lot for the explanation, Michael.

I only have limited experience with the Mach-O format, I'll see what I can do.

For reference I'd like to learn existing code for ELF and PE(EXE). I found tccelf.c, do you know where the Windows format is handled?

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 11:27 PM Michael Matz <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019, Ivan Medoedov wrote:

> However it's possible to "run" the C program on macOS:
>
> tcc -run hello.c
>
> How does this work? Is it like an emulator running ELF on macOS? Where can I
> find this code?

It works because for -run no file formats enter the picture.  Libraries
(like the implicit use of the C library in above hello world example) are
dealt with via dlopen, and source files are simply compiled into memory
blobs, without being written to files (and if going via intermediate .o
files they are generated as ELF files, and those are understood natively
by TCC itself).

> Is it possible to use this code to build Mach-O binaries?

No.

> I'd like to contribute. I think it's very important to support such a
> major OS.

Contributions for supporting Mach-O would be welcome.

Ciao,
Michael.