Re: [Tinycc-devel] Building Mach-O binaries/object files

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Building Mach-O binaries/object files
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 22:41:04 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Fri, 3 May 2019, Ivan Medoedov wrote:

Thanks a lot for the explanation, Michael.
I only have limited experience with the Mach-O format, I'll see what I can
do.

For reference I'd like to learn existing code for ELF and PE(EXE). I
found tccelf.c, do you know where the Windows format is handled?

tccpe.c

Note that also in Windows TCC writes and reads object files as ELF. But it understands PE format DLLs (for reading), and writes PE executables.

Ciao,
Michael.

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 11:27 PM Michael Matz <address@hidden> wrote:
      Hi,

      On Tue, 30 Apr 2019, Ivan Medoedov wrote:

      > However it's possible to "run" the C program on macOS:
      >
      > tcc -run hello.c
      >
      > How does this work? Is it like an emulator running ELF on
      macOS? Where can I
      > find this code?

      It works because for -run no file formats enter the picture.
      Libraries
      (like the implicit use of the C library in above hello world
      example) are
      dealt with via dlopen, and source files are simply compiled into
      memory
      blobs, without being written to files (and if going via
      intermediate .o
      files they are generated as ELF files, and those are understood
      natively
      by TCC itself).

      > Is it possible to use this code to build Mach-O binaries?

      No.

      > I'd like to contribute. I think it's very important to support
      such a
      > major OS.

      Contributions for supporting Mach-O would be welcome.

      Ciao,
      Michael.