Re: [Tinycc-devel] Tinycc-devel Digest, Vol 192, Issue 12

From: Giovanni Mascellani
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Tinycc-devel Digest, Vol 192, Issue 12
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 09:58:33 +0200

Il 20/05/19 22:08, Ben Hutchinson ha scritto:
> But there is ONE POINT TinyCC fails on. This is its insertion of the
> __chkstk function. At first I thought since TinyCC was so small that it
> was too small to have any code to generate unnececary code. But that is
> clearly not the case. It seems it easily is capable of defying the
> programmer's wishes. Even worse, as of me writing this, there is no
> command-line switch that disables TinyCC's generation of __chkstk. That
> makes TinyCC a bad C compiler.

This seems wrong: the __chkstk call is not unnecessary, because if you
don't do it and then your routine uses more stack than expected, then
your program will crash. That is what I would call a buggy compiler, and
usually it is not the programmer's wishes. It is you who have different
wishes than most programmers, and therefore TinyCC is not a bad
compiler. It is just not the compiler you were looking for.

HTH, Giovanni.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <address@hidden>
Postdoc researcher - Université Libre de Bruxelles