Re: [Tinycc-devel] undefined sanitizer

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] undefined sanitizer
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 20:59:57 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> I keep having fun.
> In attach compile report under -fsanitize=undefined in gcc or clang.
> Take care.

I don't think we should care about alignment of 4 (when 8 would be needed).
The 64bit platforms we support all handle misaligned memory accesses quite
fine, and doing it "correctly" just wastes space.

Even if there are no issues with the processor, undefined behavior
may yield the generation of bad code due to optimizations.

Indeed. The thing is that such "mis"-alignment isn't generically undefined behaviour (and hence shouldn't even be part of -fsanitize=undefined). It's implementation defined what it means for a pointer to an object type to be correctly aligned (e.g. one where the natural alignment of all types is 1 is fully conforming). Accessing something via an incorrectly aligned pointer is undefined, but what incorrectly aligned means is implementation defined.

Usually that's ultimately dictated by the capabilities of the underlying hardware (and not by -fsanitize when it ignores those capabilities!). Our hosts support alignment of 4 even for 8byte quantities.

Now, you do have a point in that some compilers assume larger natural alignment (e.g. that a void* has alignment 8), and that there are transformations like bit propagation of low bits of addresses, or vectorization making use of instructions actually requiring large alignment, that might be affected by assumptions about alignment, leading to wrong code when those assumptions are violated. When that actually happens we can revisit, until then I personally prefer the space savings.

Ciao,
Michael.