Re: [Tinycc-devel] make tcc reentrant

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] make tcc reentrant
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2019 15:42:16 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019, Ulrich Schmidt wrote:

> i try to write a lua binding for tcc. To work out propperly, the tcc lib
> needs to be reentrant.

As demonstrated down-thread, that isn't correct.  It doesn't _need_ to be,
it would be an feature.  As usual with features it needs to be measured
against the downsides.  The downsides for your proposed changes are the
following at least:
1) more complicated/boiler-platy source code of TCC (a TCCState
   argument almost everywhere)
2) slower code: most of the time the indirection through a pointer
   variable (the state) in comparison to a direct access to a static
   variable doesn't matter.  But it does matter for the symbol/token
   table (and potentially for the register/evaluation stack).  I have
   measured this years ago for the token table, so this might or might not
   still be the case.

So, while I can see the wish for this feature, I don't necessarily see
that tcc should be changed to accomodate.

If anything I would expect a _complete_ transition to exist, in order to
measure the impact.  The worst thing that could happen is if someone added
TCCState arguments everywhere, moved some static variables to that state,
and then leaves: none of the features of this whole excercise would be
had, but all the downsides would be there.

And yes, this is a big project.  I really think it would be better
if you simply write a wrapper for libtcc that ensures single-threadedness
and that regards TCCState as a singleton.  I think such thing would be
well-suited in the TCC sources itself.

(In a way it seems prudent for a tiny C compiler to only be usable as a
singleton)

Ciao,
Michael.